Seeds of Inspiration Blogs
Follow along to learn about healthy lifestyle tips and tricks, alongside delicious veggie-filled recipes, and educational greenhouse-grow facts. We’re here to inspire and help you get the most out of your Red Sun Farms purchase.
Produce Storage Tips from the Grower
You may know how to select your produce, but do you know how to keep it fresh after you get home? For info on how to make your Red Sun Farms greenhouse-grown vegetables last longer, check out these produce storage tips - straight from our growers!
- Store Red Sun Farms tomato varieties at room temperature, away from sunlight, for 1-5 days. Refrigeration will break down the tomato, leaving it mealy and less sweet.
- Tomatoes about to go bad? Whip up a batch of homemade spaghetti sauce and freeze for an easy meal later.
- Try using tomatoes in our Kale & Bacon Stuffed Peppers recipe or hollow them out for Feta-Stuffed Tomatoes.
- Keep whole Red Sun Farms seedless cucumbers in the wrap or in the bag for mini cucumbers and store in the crisper of your refrigerator for up to one week.
- Once cut, store in an airtight container or plastic bag in the fridge for 1-2 days.
- If cucumber sticks or slices get soggy, trying letting them sit in an ice water bath to crisp up.
- Savor cucumber slices in water for a refreshing twist or try making one of the many dishes on our Cool Cucumber pinboard, like this Greek Layer Dip.
- Store whole Red Sun Farms eggplant in the refrigerator for 5-7 days, wrapped in a plastic produce bag.
- Once cut, store in the fridge for 1-3 days.
- Cutting it close to a week? Toss sautéed eggplant in lasagna or casseroles and freeze for later.
- Serve eggplant in one of these 10 tasty creations or as Almond-Crusted Eggplant.
- Store Red Sun Farms sweet bell peppers in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
- Once cut, sweet bell peppers keep for 1-2 days. Keeping the seeds on the unused portion may help it stay fresher.
- Rinse, pat dry, slice and freeze sweet bell peppers in a plastic bag (remove air before freezing) to use them later. Frozen sweet bell peppers are great for hot dishes, as they lose crispness in the freezer.
- Nosh on sweet bell peppers in the easy cleanup One-Pot Chicken Lo Mein or as the chip substitute in Bell Pepper Chicken Nachos.
- Some fruits and veggies, like bananas, tomatoes and avocados, give off gases that ripen nearby produce faster. Store these tasty fruits and veggies away from others.