Sweet Potato Red Pepper Salad with Avocado
With sweet potatoes, savory roasted red peppers and pops of fresh herbs and green onions, Sweet Potato & Roasted Red Pepper Salad is as balanced in flavor as it is colorful. This recipe can be made with white potatoes, using the same method or combine sweet potatoes and white potatoes together. If using white potatoes, be sure to leave the skin on for extra fiber. Yukon Gold potatoes are a perfect variety to complement the sweet potatoes.
Recipe type: Lunch
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1-2 roasted Red Sun Farms red sweet bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
- ½ ripe avocado, peeled, pitted
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1-2 medium garlic, cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. raw honey
- Sea salt (or table salt) and pepper to taste
- Place the sweet potatoes in a colander. Fill a pot with 2 inches of hot water and rest the colander in the pot. Cover with a lid. Bring to a boil and steam until the potatoes are soft (about 10-14 minutes). Let cool.
- Meanwhile, to make the dressing, place avocado in a bowl and add half the yogurt. Mash avocado and yogurt together with a potato masher. Add garlic and honey; continue mashing. The dressing can also be made in a small blender. Add remaining yogurt to thin the mixture and whisk until smooth (add additional yogurt or water by the tablespoon to reach desired consistency as needed). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the salad, place cooked sweet potatoes into a bowl; add red peppers, celery, green onion and dill. Add some of the dressing and mix. Additional dressing can be added as desired.
- Season again with sea salt and pepper, if needed. Can be served a room temperature or chilled. Excess dressing can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
To roast a red pepper: Cut the red pepper in half and remove the seeds. Flatten the two pieces of red pepper and place on a tray. Put the tray under the broiler and blacken the skin. Let cool and peel off the skin. Use as directed in the recipe.