Turkey and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Stuffed peppers are a flavorful way to enjoy dinner while upping your fresh produce intake. Our sweet bell peppers pair with cheese, ground turkey, quinoa and zucchini for a hearty dish that’s perfect for holidays or family meals. Use any meat in lieu of ground turkey or go vegetarian by upping the quinoa, veggies and cheese.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 bell peppers, cut in half with stems and seeds removed
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 zucchini, end removed and grated
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1¾ + ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth (2 cups total, divided)
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, freshly grated
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray casserole dish or brush with oil to prevent sticking. Place bell pepper halves, cut side up in the casserole dish.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. When oil is shimmery, add 3 cloves or minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir continuously to prevent burning. Add ground turkey, basil, thyme, salt pepper and balsamic vinegar. Stir well until the turkey is browned.
- Add uncooked quinoa, zucchini and 1¾ cups of chicken or vegetable broth to the turkey mixture and cover. Cooked 20 minutes until quinoa is tender and spirals.
- Use a large spoon to fill the bell peppers halves. Let any extra turkey mixture fill the gaps between the peppers.
- Add ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth to the bottom of the pan. Cover tightly with foil and place in the hot oven. Cook 20 minutes. Remove foil top with mozzarella and bake 10-15 minutes or until peppers are firm-tender.
- Remove from oven and garnish with parsley.