Rainbow Bell Pepper Boats with Garbanzo Beans and Kale
Red, orange and yellow greenhouse grown bell peppers stuffed with garbanzo beans, kale, walnuts and brown rice make a delicious Mediterranean-influenced vegetarian dish.
Author: Produce for Better Health
Recipe type: Dinner
Serves: 5 mins
- Instant brown rice to make 2 cups, cooked
- 4 medium Red Sun Greenhouse grown bell peppers, red, yellow and orange
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans (chick peas), unsalted, drained
- ½ cup chopped walnuts ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook rice according to package directions.
- Slice bell peppers in half vertically and remove seeds.
- Reserve about half of garbanzo beans; mash remaining portion with a fork.
- Mix rice with kale, garbanzo beans (mashed and whole), nuts, salt and pepper.
- Fill peppers with mix; place in baking dish and cover.
- Bake about 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and bake 5 more minutes.
An excellent source of protein, fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, folate, phosphorus, magnesium and copper, and a good source of thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, potassium, iron and zinc.
Serving size: 4 Calories: 330 Fat: 11g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 48g Sodium: 170mg Protein: 111g Cholesterol: 0mg
Download the recipe and more MyPlate recommendations.