Bell Pepper Vidalia Onion Strata
Loaded with sweet Vidalia onions and bell peppers, this delicious baked breakfast or brunch dish can be assembled ahead of time, leaving just the baking for the morning.
- 1 Vidalia® onion, divided
- ½ Red Sun Farms®/Golden Sun® red bell pepper, sliced vertically
- ½ Red Sun Farms®/Golden Sun® yellow bell pepper, sliced vertically
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup non-fat milk
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 4-6 slices whole-grain bread, dry or toasted, cubed
- ½ cup reduced fat Italian blend cheese
- 10 Red Sun Farms®/Golden Sun® cocktail tomatoes or 2 Red Sun Farms®/Golden Sun® tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut Vidalia onion into slices vertically; reserve about ¼ of onion.
- Heat oil in a 10-inch non-stick skillet. Sauté onion and pepper slices for 5-8 minutes, until tender and just starting to brown. Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs, milk and pepper in large bowl, set aside.
- Spray 8" or 9" baking pan (square or round) with cooking spray.
- Arrange bread cubes in bottom of pan. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Add sautéd vegetables and pour in egg mix.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until set.
- While strata is baking, prepare salsa, by dicing and mixing cherry tomatoes, garlic and remaining Vidalia onion.
Meal/Photo: 8 oz non-fat milk, ½ cup cantaloupe chunks.