Roasted Eggplant and Sweet Onion Dip
Roasted Eggplant and Sweet Onion Dip is packed with flavor and nutrition. This dip makes for a great party appetizer, sandwich spread or healthy afternoon snack. Serve with warmed pita and plenty of fresh fruits and veggies for dipping, like cucumbers, cherry or grape tomatoes, and bell pepper scoops.
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 4 mini eggplants
- 1 large sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Cut eggplant in half and remove the stem. Sprinkle with salt and turn cut-side down on a paper towel or in a colander over the sink to drain excess water.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut onion into wedges and separate the layers on a large sheet pan. Pat eggplant dry with a paper towel; add to sheet pan cut-side up. Peel garlic cloves and crush with the back of a large knife. Add crushed garlic to sheet pan.
- Drizzle eggplant/onion mixture and garlic with olive oil and toss to coat. Make sure the vegetables are in a single layer and the cut side of the eggplant remains facing up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Roast vegetables for 25-30 minutes or until the eggplant is softened and golden brown and the onions are browned in places.
- Remove from oven and add vegetables (carefully because they are hot!) to the food processor.
- Pulse until the dip reaches preferred consistency.
- Serve immediately as a dip for toasted bread, whole wheat crackers, warmed pita wedges or fresh cucumber slices.