Pizza: the perfect party, dinner, and snack food! These tasty creations use eggplant for the base in lieu of the traditional flour crust. Serve immediately to keep the juices and flavors locked in, and watch them disappear in a flash!
- 3 Red Sun Farms mini eggplant
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup low sodium pizza sauce
- 1 all-natural pork sausage, chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil, julienned
- ⅔ cup lowfat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 Red Sun Farms tomato, diced
- ⅔ Red Sun Farms sweet bell pepper, diced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease or line a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Line another baking sheet with paper towels. Slice eggplant into 1-inch thick rounds and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle evenly with salt and allow to drain 20 minutes.
- Once drained, pat eggplant dry with fresh paper towels. Place on greased baking sheet. Brush with olive oil and pepper to taste. Bake 15-20 minutes or until just tender, flipping halfway. Remove from oven and turn on broiler.
- Spoon 1 Tbsp. pizza sauce on each eggplant round. Sprinkle basil and cheese on top of sauce. Top cheese with diced tomato, bell pepper, and sausage. Broil 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.