Our newest greenhouse in Dublin, VA is a state of the art facility, offering exceptional greenhouse-grown, non-GMO and pesticide-free products using 21st century, environmentally safe greenhouse efficiency to grow the best produce available! With over 100 employees overseeing our everyday operations it takes more than you might think to maintain our greenhouses.
Here are just a few fun facts we thought you’d find interesting about our Dublin, VA greenhouse:
- Greenhouse height: 26 feet to the base of each peak.
- Our primary energy source is natural gas.
- We have 2 boilers with a capacity to provide 30 acres of climate control.
- Heat generated by the boilers produces hot water (185 F/85 C) to heat the greenhouse.
- Our hot water tank has a 158,503 gallon capacity. To put this in perspective, the average American uses 20 gallons of water per shower – that means our storage tank could supply enough hot water for 7,925 showers!).
- Our greenhouse has a plant density of 10,000 plants per acre and our first phase in the Dublin greenhouse this year housed 180,000 plants.
- 75% – 85% of the water used in the growing of our plants is rainwater collected from our greenhouse roof top.
- 100% of the water and nutrients not consumed by the plant is sterilized, re-conditioned, and recycled back into the greenhouse.
- Greenhouse tomato production uses up to 5 times less water than open field tomato production.
- Each plant consumes 1-2 liters of water per day on average. Up to 3 liters consumed per plant in the heat of summer.
- We use compressed coconut husks (Coco Peat) as a growing medium for our conventional greenhouse production.
- We don’t use herbicides since our growing medium does not support weed growth.
- The protective barriers of the greenhouse structure and stringent crop protection protocols virtually eliminate the need to employ pesticides.
- IPM (Integrated Pest Management) is our standard practice. If a “pest” species is identified within our greenhouse, a predatory species is introduced to eradicate the pest insects.
- Red Sun Farms Virginia is a NON-GMO Project Verified
You can have the highest confidence when purchasing our products because we take the utmost care of our environment as well as our produce! Want to know more about greenhouse produce and or products? Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn and Pinterest or fill out our Contact Us form anytime, we’d love to hear from you!