Whip up a dish Dad will love: Grilled Steaks with Tomato Chutney. Using fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes and greenhouse grown sweet bell peppers, this tomato chutney is flavorful, fresh and the perfect pairing. Serve your Steak with Tomato Chutney alongside baked potatoes and steamed or grilled vegetables.
Use any leftover Tomato Chutney as a condiment with a meal or eat it as a snack with crackers and vegetable sticks (double the batch!). The chutney can be kept in the fridge for five days or frozen for a longer storage time.
3 Tbsp. butter or coconut oil, softened
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. oregano
2 (4-6) oz. or (112-170) g New York striploin steak
1/8 tsp. black pepper
Sea salt or table salt, to taste
Optional: Olive oil can be added to the butter rub to make it easier to spread on the steak
- Mix the butter, garlic and oregano in a small bowl.
- Dry the steak with paper towel, brush the rub on each side and refrigerate.
- Preheat the grill on high. Place the steak on grill and leave the lid open. Grill for three minutes or until the steak does not stick.
- Flip over the steak and turn 45 degrees to create cross-hatch sear marks. Continue to grill three minutes or until juices appear on the surface (or longer, until desired doneness is reached).
- Remove from the grill and season with sea salt to taste.
- Top with Tomato Chutney.
1 – 2 tsp. butter or olive oil
1/2 small onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 small clove of garlic, minced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped into quarters
3/4 cup fresh yellow and red peppers, cut into small squares
1 large celery stalk, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
2 Tbsp. maple syrup, sucanat or honey
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
Sea salt (or table salt) and pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Add butter or oil and onions; sauté 5-8 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic and stir. Add tomatoes, peppers, celery, maple syrup and vinegar. Bring the mixture to a boil and immediately lower heat to simmer. Add sea salt and pepper to taste. Simmer mixture for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add cilantro and stir. Serve at room temperature or chilled.