Mother’s day is right around the corner and instead of giving mom flowers, why not cook something special for her? Let mom have a break to relax and see what we can make for her this Mother’s Day! Get the whole family involved in cooking – no worries if you have younger children; they can help too!
Get started by brainstorming with your children what mom likes. Let them be a part of the decision making to determine the recipe that will be made for mom. Next, plan a trip to the grocery store so everyone in the family can help get the ingredients. Plan the best time to make the meal together (a time when mom isn’t around would be great, so it’s a surprise!).
Once you’re ready to start cooking, set aside tasks for each of your child according to their age – some jobs are better for younger children and some jobs are better for older children. Stirring and pouring, are great for any age, or if you have an older child aspiring to be a chef on your hands, chopping and measuring are great ways to get them involved! This will help your child feel more ownership and proud once the meal is ready to be served! If your child wants to go the extra mile once their task is completed, encourage them to make a card for mom to make her day even more special!
Don’t know what to cook for mom? We grow the best tomatoes, eggplant, cucumber, and sweet bell peppers that are great in a variety of recipes! Here’s one of our favorites that the whole family will enjoy:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup Red Sun Farms® bell peppers, seeded, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 lb. 2% cottage cheese
- 2 cups (plus ½ cup) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 jar (26 oz.) low-sodium pasta sauce
- 2 large zucchini, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 8 oz. no-boil whole wheat lasagna noodles
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; add mushrooms, peppers, onions and spinach, and cook 5 minutes, or until water evaporates.
- Mix cottage cheese, 2 cups mozzarella cheese and salt in mixing bowl.
- Assemble lasagna in slow cooker as follows: pasta sauce, single layer noodles, cooked vegetables, single layer zucchini and cottage cheese mixture. Repeat for another 2 layers. Sprinkle ½ cup mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cook on low 5 hours, or until noodles and zucchini are tender.
You can also view more recipes on our website or visit our Pinterest page! Make mom really feel special and cook for her this Mother’s Day!
Moms do so much for us and their unconditional love, self-sacrifice, and giving spirit have helped shaped us into who we are today! We celebrate you, mom, and thank you for all that you have done for us!